ECM Faculty Focus
Nominations are now open for Fresh Science 2010.
This national event brings together scientists, the media and the public to:
- enhance reporting of Australian science;
- highlight and encourage debate on the role of science in Australian society;
- provide role models for the next generation of Australian scientists.
Fresh Science 2010 will be held at Melbourne Museum from Monday 7 to Thursday 10 June. Stories will be released to the media during the event and in the weeks following. The Fresh Scientists need to be available to talk to the media during this time.
Why nominate for Fresh Science?
Fresh Science offers the potential for wide media exposure. It helps young researchers develop expertise in presenting their ideas clearly to a general audience and to the media.
Fresh Science also assists the media to identify and publish accurate stories about Australian science, and demonstrates that science in Australia is exciting, vibrant and successful. Fresh Science encourages and provides recognition for Australia's best young scientists and engineers.
The selected researchers are likely to gain substantial media exposure. In previous years our Fresh Scientists have attracted national and international interest resulting in hundreds of media stories in Australia and overseas.
Details of previous winners, their press releases and media coverage can be seen at the Fresh Science website.
What will it involve?
The Fresh Scientists will:
- participate in a one-day media and communication training course;
- have access to experienced science communicators to advise them on talks, media releases and interviews;
- swap ideas with other participants;
- present their research to the media and to public audiences;
- take part in a Fresh-Science-at-the-Redback event;
- attend an evening reception or dinner with representatives from business, government, research and the media;
- have the opportunity to, and be expected to, participate in talks in their home state during Science Week.
Travel and accommodation will be provided for participants from outside Melbourne. Melbourne-based participants will be provided with accommodation for the key nights of the event.
More information about Fresh Science can be found at the Fresh Science website.
The closing date for nominations is 5pm on Thursday 25 March 2010.
Nominations are only accepted via our online form. We recommend you complete the Word version of the form off-line, save it, then cut and paste the information into the online form when ready to submit.
Feel free to call Tim Thwaites on 0422 817 372 or Niall Byrne on (03) 9398 1416 if you have any questions.