New courses in Sport and Recreation Management, Food Science and Adult Sleep Science provide students with the opportunity to specialise in one of these areas after the third year of a science degree.
Graduate Diploma in Sport and Recreation Management
The last 20 years have been marked by an extraordinary growth in the sport and recreation industry. The new Graduate Diploma in Sport and Recreation Management is a one year program offering a pathway into this fulfilling and expanding industry.
Supported by numerous organisations in sport and recreation, the course will develop students' knowledge and skills in preparation for work in the sport and recreation industry. Students will learn about the psychology of sport and exercise consumers and about service marketing practices in sport and recreation. Accounting practices and ethical considerations for work in the industry will also be developed.
This program will help prepare students for work in the following areas:
- Government - e.g. Department for Sport and Recreation
- Local government - e.g. management/marketing of community recreation facilities and/or programs
- Private organisations - e.g. management/marketing of companies in the health, fitness and sport industries
Master of Food Science
Food Science is the science behind the products we consume every day. Food scientists apply the principles of chemistry, biochemistry, nutrition, microbiology, sensory science, nanotechnology, forensic science and engineering to produce the next generation of food products, to improve food processing techniques and to ensure quality, safety and nutritional value of the food supply.
Food safety is a significant global issue with enormous implications for public health. This strategic food science program emphasises food safety and security and has been developed with the input of government regulators and major food companies. It provides advanced training in all aspects of food safety and quality as well as some fundamental aspects of food science and technology. Students will develop an awareness of the emerging issues associated with the food supply and will have the opportunity to work in industry alongside a mentor. They will also learn to design and implement food safety management systems and gain an understanding of domestic and international food laws and regulations.
Graduates of the program will posses the knowledge and skills to move directly into an industry position. Graduates can expect to be employed in:
- Private and public food companies and organisations;
- Government and independent agencies involved in food research, planning, development, and control;
- International organisations responsible for developing international food standards and providing various forms of aid for developing countries;
- Laboratories involved in analysing the chemical, physical, microbiological, sensory and nutritional properties of food products;
- Food marketing, merchandising and distribution;
- Schools and educational/training organisations in the fields of food science and technology
Graduate Certificate in Adult Sleep Science
This course provides students with an understanding of sleep and circadian biology and the skills to use sophisticated equipment and instrumentation in order to perform laboratory-based and portable sleep studies.
Students will also learn how to apply different protocols to sleep monitoring and perform basic scoring and analysis of sleep studies.