The 2019 UWA Blues Awards, held on Wednesday 20 November at Lawrence Wilson Art Gallery, recognised the achievements of 2019 recipients and welcomed them to the historic Blues family.
Blues have a long-standing history at UWA, with Full Blues and Half Blues awarded by Sports Council to UWA student athletes since 1921.
These awards are considered to be the highest possible honour a student athlete can achieve during their time at university.
The awards not only acknowledge excellence in sport, but also the athletes’ contributions to their respective clubs throughout the year.
MC Jeremy Gillbanks (UWA Boat Club) hosted a short Q&A with previous Blues recipients Tim Widdicombe (Full Blue 2010, Rowing), Andrew Tuckey (Half Blue 2013, Rugby), and Cassandra Greenwell (Full Blue 2015, Futsal), celebrating their clubs’ milestone anniversaries and the impact being a UWA athlete has had on their lives.
2019 Blues pins and plaques were awarded by 2019 Sports Council President Max Qua and 2019 Sports Council Secretary Katherine Sparrow to the following recipients:
- Grant Szalek (UWA Athletics Club)
- Declan Tingay (UWA Athletics Club)
- Jacob Read (UWA Judo Club)
- Ashton Brinkworth (UWA West Coast Swimming Club)
- Nicholas Brown (UWA West Coast Swimming Club)
- Rahul Jegatheva (UWA Triathlon Club)
- Lewis Almond (UWA Boat Club)
- Angus Rowe (UWA Boat Club)
- George Dale (UWA Fencing Club)
- Jonathan Poon (UWA Fencing Club)
- Pei Xiang Wong (UWA Fencing Club)
- Amalie Froland (UWA Handball Club)
- Ernest Low (UWA Kendo Club)
- Matthew Ward (UWA Kendo Club)
- Brian Zhan (UWA Kendo Club)
- Rory O’Sullivan (UWA Rugby Club)
- Adam Sudlow (UWA West Coast Swimming Club)
- Josh Yong (UWA West Coast Swimming Club)
- Alexandra Meek (UWA Triathlon Club)
- Thea Pulbrook (UWA Ultimate Club)
- Bronte Wearing (UWA Ultimate Club)
UWA Sport is committed to maintaining contact with sport alumni and those that have made university sport a success, not only for their athletic abilities but their contributions to the university and their respective clubs throughout the year.
Blues recipients are encouraged to provide their latest information and contact details. To do so email firstname.lastname@example.org
Photos from the night can be viewed here.
UWA Sport Marketing, Communication and Events Coordinator