The UWA Dental School's Family Fun Day was held on 25 February 2017 at the Oral Health Centre of Western Australia (OHCWA) to welcome alumni back to the School and showcase the cutting-edge facilities available to students and ultimately for the care of our patients. The day was full of fun and activity, with many visitors who explored the Centre surprised and excited to see how it has changed.
Tours were conducted by volunteer students who led visitors through many areas, including the following:
- Simodont virtual dentistry simulation – allowing dental procedures to be practiced in a realistic virtual environment
- CAD/CAM technology for capturing patient impressions for digital design of dental prostheses
- CAD/CAM technology for milling and efficient production of dental prosthesis
- Dental research laboratory with DNA sequencing machines available to enable complex research projects and research work
- New Radiology Suite with Cone Beam scan technology offered to patients within the same building
- Chairside digital radiographic facilities available in every student cubicle
In many of these areas demonstrations took place and in some instances our visitors had a chance to use the equipment themselves!
Activities were also organised for children, including a petting zoo, face painting, colouring in, caricaturist impressions, making plasticine teeth, light cured acrylic medallions, and impressions of children’s hands. Music was provided by a student DJ from the UWA Electronic Music Appreciation Society (EMAS) and there was plenty of complimentary pizza, paella and ice-cream for those who were hungry.
Overall the Centre was a hive of activity, and the day was a resounding success. Feedback we received from those who attended was extremely positive, and we thank our alumni and friends for joining us on the day.
For those who missed out on the Family Fun Day, stay tuned for the next School event.