UWA hosted the Australian Society for Medical Research’s annual WA Symposium on Wednesday 6 June. The day attracted 200 delegates from around Perth and involved high quality presentations from researchers at all stages of their careers, from undergraduate, honours and PhD students, through to post-doctoral, research assistants and clinicians.
UWA was well represented, with Shakeel Mowlaboccus, Vanja Todorovski and Bella Nguyen all receiving the major Platinum sponsored awards for Best Presentations which were awarded at the Gala Dinner on Friday night.
The day was a great way to highlight the spectacular minds in Perth and bring together the community of medical researchers. The WA Committee thanks all sponsors and attendees and is looking forward to seeing you next year.
Congratulations to all award winners:
- Shakeel Mowlaboccus (UWA) – Best Presentation by a Late Stage PhD Student (Basic Science) sponsored by the Department of Health.
- Vanja Todorovski (UWA) – Best Presentation by Early Stage PhD Student (Basic Science) sponsored by UWA.
- Bella Nguyen (UWA) – Best Clinical and Translational Presentation sponsored by Edith Cowan University, Curtin University and The University of Notre Dame.
- Amy Woodfield (Curtin) – Best presentation by an Honours Student sponsored by Silver sponsors.
Best Lay Summary:
- Wesley Wilson (UWA, NCARD) – Best Lay Summary (Basic Science) sponsored by Telethon Kids Institute, The Perron Institute and Harry Perkins Medical Research Institute.
- Leah Cave (Telethon Kids and UWA) – Best Lay Summary (Clinical Science) sponsored by Royal Perth Hospital Medical Research Foundation, City of Perth and the Institute for Respiratory Health/National Centre for Asbestos Related Diseases.