Office of the Executive Dean – Jan Dunphy
Staff in the Faculty Service Delivery Centre have continued to support staff and students across our wide footprint. Moving and settling teams into new locations has better consolidated the Faculty services at the UWA Health Campus and QEII site. As we near the end of Semester 1 and the mid-year point of many courses, the academic services and technical services staff have remained busy with ongoing support for the teaching programs, assessments and planning for the second half of the year. Many Faculty staff are also preparing for the annual appraisal process, reflecting on the efforts and outcomes of the past year, and looking forward to setting objectives for the coming year. I welcome constructive feedback from staff about suggestions for improvements within the HMS Service Delivery Centre. We have achieved a lot over the past 18 months, but there is still much work to do!
Business Development – Rolee Kumar
- BridgeTech Program – Promoting/socialising it around UWA and WA. On the Steering Committee assisting with organising event in Perth in Sept 2018.
- Hosting CEDA event on aged care (14 June 2018) have achieved good mix of UWA researchers and industry representation.
- Working with Mark Dixon from Animal Ethics and Integrity and Malcolm Lawson, Animal Care Services, Sean Webb from CMCA to scoping UWA providing preclinical R&D services.
- Progressive Medical – MedVR technology has received interest from Dental School and Human Sciences (Faculty of Science). Making progress with other schools in HMS.
- AMMRF Voucher Program OPEN for applications.
- Scoping strategic focus area around Digital Health at UWA.
- TGA Tender process has yet to be finalised. UWA application is still in the run and final outcome is anticipated in July 2018.
Campus Management – Wayne Humphreys
- HMS maintenance requests are to be temporarily directed to Chris Harriduth due to unforeseen staff leave. The Faculty greatly appreciates the support from elsewhere within the University Service Delivery Centre!
- Painting of the FJ Clark foyer and ceiling will occur in early July. Access to the lecture theatres and tutorial rooms will still be provided.
- Faculty staff from the Division of Paediatrics were successfully moved into the new Perth Children’s Hospital in mid-May. Expert support for the transition was provided by Campus Management staff as well as Faculty IT staff resulting in a smooth move for staff.
Financial and Staff Resources – Ailish Breheny
- The Accounting team are working with PG Managers on clearing balances on approximately 350 PG’s which are end dated up to the end of September.
- The Budget 2019 process commences shortly. Finance staff will be meeting with the Heads of School, Head of SDC and The Dean in order to build the 2019 Budget.
- Activity Based Costing (ABC) is being implemented at the University during 2018. One of the purposes of ABC is to provide stakeholders with insights into the costs of the University’s activities to support decision making, goal setting and planning. The ABC Project Team will be engaging with The Dean, Head of SDC and the Heads of School in the coming months in regards to this project.
- The final payroll for the Financial Year closes this Friday, 15 June. Payment summaries for the 2018 Financial Year will be available in ESS after the end of the financial year.
Graduate Research – Jay Jay Jegathesan
- PhD Scholarship Alert! The mid-year 2018 PhD Scholarship Round for domestic and UWA international graduates is now open, until 13 July 2018 (for commencement by 31 August 2018).
- International Round for 2019 will open from 2 July 2018 until 31 August 2018 (for commencement in the first half of 2019).
- PhD Enrolments Up in 2018 – Total PhD enrolments to May 2018 = 53 (compared to 57 for all of 2017).
- Highest number of HDR inquiries from China & India; total number of countries HDR inquiries have come from = 67.
- The website for Higher Degree by Research students has been updated. The site aims to provide answers to the majority of administrative and candidature questions. Please visit
- Centre for Child Health Research/Telethon Kids Institute will be holding a Prospective Student Evening for students interested in conducting Honours projects, MD projects or higher degree by research courses with TKI supervisors. When: June 28th at 5:00pm; Where: Telethon Kids Institute, 100 Roberts Rd, Subiaco.
IT Services – Stephen McVay
- HMS Staff relocating to PCH from PMH have been successfully moved over to their new offices on Level 5 of the new hospital with all IT connections up and running smoothly.
- HMS IT are working with AV to upgrade the AV facilities in FJ Clark during June.
Health and Safety – Brett Tizard
- The next chemical waste collection will occur during a short time period from 16 July – 18 July 2018. Should staff have any legacy or waste chemicals to include in this collection please contact Brett who can facilitate the process.
- If you have any Health and Safety requests to be considered in the 2019 Budget, please provide details of these to Brett Tizard by 20 July 2018.
Marketing and Communications – Liz Latham
Faculty and schools website project:
- Beta version was shared at Faculty C&E Committee meeting on 11 June.
- Additional sessions will be scheduled for Faculty staff to see the beta version.
- Feedback period will then open: please share your changes using the “Give feedback” button at the bottom of every page, or contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Marketing team will also be in touch to collate additional content.
- We are undertaking an audit of the existing website and will be in touch with content owners to transition relevant content or seek approval to archive redundant pages. If you identify a page that needs archiving, please advise us at email@example.com.
- After feedback is received and actioned, the Faculty Exec will determine when the new website is ready to go live.
- Faculty Prize Giving Ceremony, Monday 6 August.
- Open Day, Sunday 12 August: Ella Wheeler has emailed all schools and departments for input on presentations and activities. If you have further suggestions please contact Ella directly: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical Services – Melissa Andrade
- Planning is underway for 2019 core equipment purchases/renewal and equipment maintenance requirements. Heads of School to consult with Technical services representatives, final submissions by mid-July.
- First Technical Services Team Leaders forum held on June 8, opportunity for technical team leaders across four Faculties to meet monthly.