Our ‘May the Fourth be with you’ social media video was produced entirely in-house by Brand, Marketing and Recruitment.
It took creativity and collaboration right across campus to produce - and the response to the video has been outstanding - reaching an international audience and resonating with our key demographics.
Here are a few insights into how it was made:
- Filmed entirely on campus over two days at various locations, the video showcased our facilities including the Business School Trading Room, Reid Library, Winthrop Hall, gym, and our stunning grounds.
- Around sixty members from our Conservatorium of Music performed the Star Wars track together for the first time on the day of filming.
- We obtained permission from Lucasfilm in the USA to use both the music and characters for our video.
- Five different cameras plus a robot camera were used in the production. The robot camera and additional camera equipment were loaned to us for the shoot.
- The community members who played the Star Wars characters (C3PO, Sandtrooper and Rey) in the video volunteered their time and are all part of the 501st legion. For those amongst us who are not Star Wars gurus, this is an international fan-based organisation dedicated to the construction and wearing of screen-accurate replica Star Wars costumes.
- The person who played the character, Rey, is also a current UWA student.
- It took two people 20 minutes to dress C3PO. This was done in the Business School Trading Room and 'C3PO' wasn’t able to climb stairs while wearing the costume.
- And who played Darth Vader? That shall remain our mystery.
You can check out the behind the scenes action here.