Olympic gold medallist Rechelle Hawkes was among 15 graduates and two staff members of The University of Western Australia recognised in this year’s Australia Day Honours List.
The former Hockeyroo, who was previously awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in 1989, was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) for “significant services to hockey, particularly as national captain of multiple tournament-winning teams, and as a role model and commentator”.
UWA graduates David Coventry, Adjunct Professor at Adelaide University, and Professor Hugh Davies, from The University of Papua New Guinea, were among 895 Australians to be recognised with an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO).
An expert in crop agronomy, agriculture, soil acidity and modern agriculture techniques, Professor Coventry was recognised for “distinguished service to primary industry, particularly to sustainable agricultural production, as an academic and researcher, and through the facilitation of training programs and scholarships in developing countries”.
Professor Davies was recognised for “distinguished service to Australia-Papua New Guinea relations, particularly in the area of the geological sciences, and to education as an academic, author and researcher”. Professor Davies has worked with Papua New Guinea National Disaster Awareness and Preparedness Committee supporting disaster victims and geological education.
The Australia Day Honours List recognises a diverse range of contributions and service across all fields, including professional endeavours, community work, Australia’s Defence Force and Emergency Services. A full list of UWA recipients is below:
UWA Australia Day 2018 Honours List recipients
Officer of the Order of Australia (AO)
Appointments made for distinguished service of a high degree to Australia or to humanity at large.
- Professor David Richard Coventry, AO (PhD '76), UWA graduate
- Professor Hugh Davies, AO (BSc '56, MSc '64), UWA graduate
Member of the Order of Australia (AM)
Appointment made for service in a particular locality or field of activity or to a particular group.
- Mr Michael Gurry (BSc '70), UWA graduate
- Ms Rechelle Hawkes (GradDipMktg '98), UWA graduate
- Clinical Associate Professor Phillip House (MBBS '79), UWA staff (School of Population and Health)
- Mr John Schaffer (BCom '72), UWA graduate
- Mr Roger Underwood (BSc '64), UWA graduate
- Mr Lawrence Wilson (BCom '70), UWA graduate
- Dr Michael Philip (UWA Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences)
- Dr Jennifer Rosevear (MMusEd '97), UWA graduate
- Dr Hugh Tyndale-Biscoe AM (PhD ’63), UWA graduate
Awarded Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM)
Awarded for service worthy of particular recognition.
- Mr Peter Cole, (BJuris '80, LLB '81) UWA graduate
- Walter Ferrell, (BA '64; GradDipEd '68), UWA graduate
- Nicholas Grifiths (LLB '74), UWA graduate
- James Savundra (MBBS '93), UWA graduate
- John Sherwood (BA '67; GradDipEd '68; MA '79), UWA graduate
Australian Fire Service Medal (AFSM)
Awarded to members of particular services for outstanding service.
- Kelly Gillen (BSc '76), UWA graduate
Jess Reid (UWA Media and Public Relations Advisor) (+61 8) 6488 6876