The University of Western Australia has been awarded platinum status and listed in the top 15 for LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex) inclusion at the 2017 Australian LGBTI Inclusion and Diversity Awards.
UWA is the first university to achieve this honour and was awarded platinum for its strong performance since the inception of the awards seven years ago.
The University has a long-standing commitment to provide an equitable and inclusive environment for staff, students and alumni.
Some of the University’s achievements include:
- Introducing the ground-breaking Ally Program to Australia. Since its adoption in 2002, hundreds of UWA staff and students have been trained as Allies to promote inclusion.
- Developing a transgender policy to protect the rights of transgender staff and students.
- Establishing a UWA Inclusion & Diversity Committee, a dedicated Inclusion & Diversity Advisor and a number of working groups, including a LGBTI Working Group to support staff and students of diverse sexualities and genders.
- Establishing Australia’s first university network for bisexual staff, students, and alumni.
- Implementing the first study of the LGBTI student experience at an Australian university.
UWA Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Community and Engagement) Professor Kent Anderson said achieving a culture of inclusion and diversity was a high priority for the University.
“The University has demonstrated a significant commitment towards LGBTIQA+ inclusivity for more than a decade and will continue to do so,” Professor Anderson said.
“People should be free to go to work, complete their studies and be a part of the community in a supportive positive, fair and inclusive environment.
“UWA aspires to be included among the world’s top 50 universities by 2050 and a demonstrable commitment to diversity and inclusion is critical to that.
“Earning a place in the top 15 reflects the groundwork UWA has undertaken to make the University an inclusive place to study, work and visit.”
Jess Reid (UWA Media and Public Relations Advisor) (+618) 6488 6876