Marina Pitts, of the Graduate School of Education, has been selected as one of two, Western Australian science teacher representatives to visit Japan thanks to the Victorian Space Science Education Centre (VSSEC) in collaboration with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and the Australia Japan Foundation.
Marina is one of ten Australian teachers who have been chosen to travel to Japan from 26 June to 04 July 2010. Whilst in Japan, the teachers will be exposed to new ideas, experiences and technologies where they can engage with staff from VSSEC and JAXA to produce educational materials which will be made available to all teachers.
The group will:
- Visit Tanegashima Space Center
- Participate in the JAXA Space Educators Course.
- Visit JAXA Tokyo office
- Tour Tsukuba Space Center
- Meet Japanese space scientists and engineers
- Tour Institute of Space and Astronautical Science
- Work with staff from the JAXA Space Education Office
- Interact with Japanese teachers
This program has the support of Engineers Australia National Committee for Space Engineering, Questacon and the Australian Science Teachers Association.
There are nine other recipents of the prize.