ECM Faculty Focus
The purpose of the University's Fay Gale Fellowships is to assist academic or professional staff at an early stage in their career to spend a period of time overseas, normally of not less than three months, working in another educational institution.
Academic or professional staff who hold ongoing appointments or who have completed not less than two years continuous contract service at the University, and who are employed either full-time or on a part-time basis of 50% or more are eligible to apply for a Fellowship.
Unfortunately, ARC Post Doctoral Fellows are not eligible to apply.
Staff on fixed-term contracts must have sufficient time to run on their contract in order to be able to complete the Fellowship and the return of service obligation within the contract period.
Staff awarded a Fellowship will have a return of service obligation to the University at least equal to the period covered by the Fellowship. A staff member who fails to work for the University for the required period following their Fellowship will be liable to repay the Fellowship on a pro-rata basis for the return of service not completed.
There is no application form. There are also no rigid criteria to be met. The Fellowship is intended to be broad so as to cater for both Academic and Professional staff. In assessing applications, the Committee will give preference to staff who have not previously travelled overseas and who have a particular need for assistance because of their family commitments. Accordingly, any relevant factors should be included on this point.
Applications should include the following:
1. Current CV
2. An outline of the proposal. This should include the objectives, proposed institutions to be visited, and dates (if known) or length of the proposed visit. The proposal should address expected outcomes and benefits to the individual and to the University.
3. How would you describe the current stage of your career and how this particular project might advance it?
4. What is the status of your current appointment with UWA?
5. What is the nature of the support requested (including $ sought)?
6. What, if any, other funding do you have to support this proposal?
7. Please provide details of previous overseas trips undertaken in a professional capacity and whether this application is connected to other leave or conference attendance (e.g. study leave).
8. Does this application involve a particular need in light of family commitments? If so, please provide details.
Successful applicants would normally be expected to travel during 2010 or within twelve months of receiving notification of receipt of a Fellowship.
Salary will be maintained for the period of the Fellowship, and is the responsibility of the School/Section.
Applications are to be submitted through Heads of School or Section who should indicate their support or otherwise for this proposal. Applications should be sent to Mr Robert Farrelly, Director Human Resources.
Closing date: Friday 5 March 2010