ECM Faculty Focus
All UWA research-active staff, postgraduates, school managers or research associates who are affiliated with UWA research projects or groups are invited to participate in this Research Leaders Program Workshop.
As a researcher, you are bound by significant governance expectations, responsible research practices and by the need to comply with statutes and regulations. This module examines the context in which research operates and the resultant requirements for research practice.
The need to operate within a university-specific framework of governance, responsible research practice and statutory and regulatory requirements is also explored. You will have an opportunity to explore the nature of compliance as a partnership in research governance, rather than an imposed requirement.
The module considers responsible conduct in research and how you can take maximum advantage of your university's governance and compliance requirements to build research strength and leadership.
It aims to give you an understanding of the trust placed in people and in institutions that conduct research. You will also gain an appreciation that robust research requires integrity embodied in a commitment to intellectual honesty and personal responsibility for one's action.
After completing this module you should be able to:
- Locate and recognise the Codes of Conduct for Research that prescribe standards of work performance and ethical conduct expected of all persons engaged in research;
- Describe the situations where research requires approval by an ethics committee, safety committee or other regulatory committee or authority;
- Recognise the obligations to the university and community in undertaking publicly-funded and -sponsored research;
- Define what constitutes a failure to conduct research responsibly and major forms of misconduct;
- Identify key sources of information, advice and further education on specific issues relating to research conduct.
The details of the workshop are as follows:
Date: Friday 18 September 2009
Time: 9:00am - 1:00pm
Venue: Love House, 28 Broadway, Seminar Room 1
Facilitator: Shelda Debowski, Organisational and Staff Development Services
For further information about the workshop or to enrol please visit the website.