The first awards in Australia to recognise social workers will be presented next Tuesday, June 23, 2009, at The University of Western Australia.
The Hon Robyn McSweeney, Minister for Child Protection; Community Services; Seniors and Volunteering; and Women's Interests, will present the overall WA Social Worker of the Year Award, with the President of the Australian Association of Social Workers, Professor Bob Lonne.
The inaugural awards will celebrate the achievements and commitment of social workers, whose job which is often unrecognised by the community. They will focus on the practice of social work and acknowledge its diversity, scope and potential.
The awards are the initiative of the WA Branch of the Australian Association of Social Workers, in partnership with UWA's Social Work Alumni and the Discipline of Social Work and Social Policy, as well as the Department of Social Work and Social Policy at Curtin University of Technology.
Judges have selected three finalists in each award category:
- Rural and Remote Practitioner Award, sponsored by Children Youth and Family Agencies Association and the UWA Social Work Alumni, finalists are Bronwyn Cutler, Kipling Cutler & Associates (Albany); Rosalie Dwyer, Department for Child Protection (Warburton); and Elizabeth Trotti, Department of Health (Geraldton);
- Rising Star Award, sponsored by the Department for Child Protection, finalists are Jessica Pyburne, Wanslea Family Services; Ben Whitehouse, Department for Child Protection; and Kirsty Snelgrove, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital;
- Head, Heart and Hands Award, sponsored by Anglicare WA, finalists are Anthony Collier, Youth Reach South; Natarlie deCinque, Department of Health; and Barbara Meddin, Human Service Consulting;
- Agent of Change Award, sponsored by Richmond Fellowship WA, finalists are Celine Harrison, King Edward Memorial Hospital; Ann Margaret O'Neill, Department of the Attorney General; and Margaret Stockton, South Metro Area Health Service;
- Social Worker of the Year Award will be chosen from the category finalists.
The WA Social Worker of the Year awards ceremony will be held at the University Club Theatrette (off Hackett Drive, Entrance 1, Carpark 3) on Tuesday, June23, from 6.15pm to 9pm. For more information, visit: http://www.aasw.asn.au/ (latest news).
Louise Durack (Australian Association of Social Workers) (+61 4) 10 627 396
Janine MacDonald (UWA Public Affairs) (+61 8) 6488 5563 / (+61 4) 32 637 716